Monday, April 9, 2007

Imus: the more you say about others. . .

In as cliched as it is and in as much as I hate living by cliches (*cough*AA*cough*), I truly believe that every finger you point at somebody else points four more fingers back at you, and this is what happened to Don Imus.


Here's what I think about the words, however: those words did not turn those Rutgers basketball players into nappy headed hos any more than the people who called MLK Jr into an ape turned him into an ape. What they did show is that they (the racists) were the ones down on the evolutionary scale. Same thing with Ann Coulter dropping a three-letter f bomb on Edwards. No matter how cute she tried to turn the insult, she marred her physical beauty with ugly that cute to the bone. And the same thing with Don Imus.


Now, do I think that he should be fired? I don't know. I'm not a fan of Don Imus and I don't watch his schnitck often enough to make an informed decision, but here's what I do know: I've seen him and his clowns use other insults against other people rather than arguments. If you are going to fire him just for this, what does that say about the other slams he has made against other people? Smack them for their religion, for their political beliefs in a way that doesn't open discussion, but the moment you step across race you are gone?


I don't think Imus is racist in the sense that he believes honestly that caucasians are superior to black people. But I do think it shows a bias and a stereotypical thinking about blacks. He has biases against other groups as well. Does that make them any better?



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: