Sunday, March 18, 2007

Keep thinking about the origins of Redd and the Godsbane

Where my stories are going about Redd ultimately involves the Godsbane, so I guess I should flesh out its meaning. The concept first came to me when playing a video game, The Summoner. In one of the adventures, they end up descending down what could only be described as the tomb of a God. It struck me as odd that somebody, would make their home on top of that. If such a place existed, I could only think of it as a very sad place.
Why is it sad? Well, as I read somewhere, God really is just an abbreviation of Good. So you could take the death of a God as being the death of all that is good in people, or rather all that is perceived as good. How would you survive knowing that all your hopes of a better life turned out to be a lie, or dead? How would you go on?
But ultimately, we have to go on. People die, good people that have meant so much in our lives, but our obligation to live continues. So when that happens, you must cut out a goodness of your own creation. You must be good not because you hope for reward or fear punishment, but because it is good and that is the right path. And that is eventually the key to maturing and growing up.

No comments: